The mission of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS) is to promote excellence in the teaching of anatomy and physiology.
Click here to see all the benefits of being a HAPS member!
HAPS is open to anyone interested in Anatomy & Physiology Education, and currently includes over 1,700 members from high schools, two and four year colleges, universities, and private businesses in the United States, Canada and throughout the rest of the world.
The annual HAPS national conference, regional conferences, the HAPS-EDucator and HAPS Institute courses provide members with an important means of updating their knowledge, improving technical and pedagogical skills, investigating new technologies for the laboratory and classroom, and, perhaps most importantly, networking with a growing international contingent of peers.
- To enhance the quality of human anatomy and physiology instruction at colleges, universities, and related institutions.
- To promote and facilitate communication and collaboration among teachers of human anatomy and physiology.
- To encourage innovation, educational research, and publication by human anatomy and physiology teachers.
- To promote and organize professional development programs for the teaching of human anatomy and physiology.
- To promote interaction among science teachers at all educational levels.
- To provide the membership with opportunities to become and remain informed about the latest developments in the health/science field.
- To facilitate communication with other sectors of the educational and scientific community and to collect and disseminate to the membership information regarding events of interest.
- To foster a sense of collegiality and camaraderie among members.
Some of the members-only resources include:
A discussion group that has evolved from the legendary HAPS listserv (HAPS-L) that has the most interesting conversations in A&P. Have a question? Chances are that it will be answered within hours. Have a really hard question? Chances are it will get 20 replies by the end of the day. Many of the top authors in A&P are active participants, as are many of the top instructors in the country.
An inclusive leadership
that promotes member participation and growth. You don't have to be a HAPS member for decades to join committees and move into leadership positions.
Immediate access to new editions of the peer-reviewed HAPS-EDucator, which is published online three times per year. Articles cover various topics important to A&P instructors.
Online access to Anatomical Sciences Education (ASE), a Medline-indexed journal that publishes articles related to all levels of anatomical sciences education including undergraduate, allied health, medical (both allopathic and osteopathic), dental, graduate and post-graduate programs, and covers the major disciplines of the anatomical sciences
Reduced tuition for HAPS Institute (HAPS-I) courses. Courses can either earn graduate-level credit or professional development certificates. Courses are primarily all online and offer flexibility for busy professional instructors to fit the courses into their schedules. Take a look at the currently available courses here
Access to a huge array of nationally respected teaching resources. Take a look here.
A members-only data sharing program
to provide a large, curated dataset for teaching labs and classroom analysis.
Access to the Histology Challenge
- biweekly histology slides and discussion. Nearly 100 previous challenges available - many use these to sharpen their own skills and also for student assignments.
Grants and scholarships
for travel and research available to members only. We want you to join and come to conferences, and we help those in our community who need help to make it happen.
Cadaver lab tours and lab reconstruction advice (both in webpages and from HAPS members if you ask...)
HAPS also works to make teaching better with:
All of these combine to make HAPS the most welcoming and useful membership organization for an A&P teaching professional. Come to a regional meeting or an annual conference and you will feel the benefits in ways that you can't imagine. Join the listserv and see how the community rallies around instructors who need help or advice. Tremendous knowledge can come in the form of helpful and warm people, and that is HAPS. Whether you are in the US or abroad, take a moment to join and then Learn, Discover and Share.
Click here to learn more and Join!
For questions on joining or renewing your membership, please contact the HAPS Main Office at email@example.com or at 1-800-448-4277. Thanks!