The mission of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS) is to promote excellence in the teaching of anatomy and physiology.
Click here to see all the benefits of being a HAPS member!
HAPS is open to anyone interested in Anatomy & Physiology Education, and currently includes over 1,700 members from high schools, two and four year colleges, universities, and private businesses in the United States, Canada and throughout the rest of the world
- To enhance the quality of human anatomy and physiology instruction at colleges, universities, and related institutions.
- To promote and facilitate communication and collaboration among teachers of human anatomy and physiology.
- To encourage innovation, educational research, and publication by human anatomy and physiology teachers.
- To promote and organize professional development programs for the teaching of human anatomy and physiology.
- To promote interaction among science teachers at all educational levels.
- To provide the membership with opportunities to become and remain informed about the latest developments in the health/science field.
- To facilitate communication with other sectors of the educational and scientific community and to collect and disseminate to the membership information regarding events of interest.
- To foster a sense of collegiality and camaraderie among members.
WHAT WE DO:
- Members publish articles covering various topics important to A&P instructors, including national trends in education and teaching tips, in the HAPS-EDucator, which is published online four times per year.
- HAPS Institute (HAPS-I) courses offer short graduate biology courses in a variety of flexible formats for those teaching human anatomy and physiology. Some courses help clarify difficult physiological concepts and others use cadavers to review and explore human anatomy.
- HAPS maintains one listserve (HAPS-L) to provide a members' forum for sharing expertise and experiences to promote excellence in the teaching of human anatomy and physiology. HAPS maintains a second listserve called Teaching Portfolios that is open to the public.
- We have created Position Statements on Animal Use, Cadaver Use, and Distance Education.
- A comprehensive anatomy and physiology exam, in both paper and online versions, is available to A&P teachers.
- "Course Guidelines for Undergraduate Instruction of Human Anatomy and Physiology" have been designed by and for members.
- We offer grant and scholarships for anatomy and physiology students and instructors.
- Learning outcomes for all content areas in anatomy and physiology have been written.
- A comprehensive safety manual dealing with all aspects of the A&P lab experience is available to members.
- And much more...
The annual HAPS national conference, regional conferences, the HAPS-EDucator and HAPS Institute courses provide members with an important means of updating their knowledge, improving technical and pedagogical skills, investigating new technologies for the laboratory and classroom, and, perhaps most importantly, networking with a growing international contingent of peers.
Click here to learn more and Join!
For questions on joining or renewing your membership, please contact the HAPS Main Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 1-800-448-4277. Thanks!